CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL - Burgh By Sands - List Entry

  • Description

    "Church. Probably late C12, bell tower 1360, C15 east tower, alterations of 1713 and restoration 1881. Squared and coursed red and calciferous sandstone (from the nearby Roman Wall and Roman Fort, on which site the church stands); graduated greenslate roof, C20 brick chimney stack on vestry. 3-storey west tower; 3-bay nave with north aisle, 2-bay chancel and single-bay vestry (former east tower) under common roof. West tower has extremely thick walls on chamfered plinth with clasping buttresses; vaulted lower chamber has newel staircase in south-west angle, lit by arrow slits; west wall has internal steps in thickness of wall, to arrow slit..."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1367134
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 1 year, 1 month ago
    Viewed: 49 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES