St Anthony's Church, Cartmell Fell

  • Description

    "There is no village, and the church and school are all on their own amongst woodland. The church was built c.1505, and the windows are unaltered in style from that date, although some have been renewed. Inside there is a 16C family pew, for the Cowmires, and another 17C one (altered in the 19C) for the Burblethwaites. There is a rare three-decker pulpit of 1698 and a possibly 13C wooden crucifix, rarer still. Also some 15C stained glass from Cartmel Priory, notably in the east window. Cartmell Fell was a chapelry of Cartmel parish until it became an ecclesiastical parish in 1718 and a civil parish in 1866." Photo by Humphrey Bolton, 2006.
  • Owner

    Humphrey Bolton
  • Source

    Geograph (Geograph)
  • License

    What does this mean? Creative Commons License
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/171447
    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 1 year, 2 months ago
    Viewed: 78 times
    Picture Taken: 2006-05-06
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES