Village Cross - Ovingham

  • Description

    "The remains of the village cross stand in the corner of the Village Green overlooking the Tyne. Three steps lead to a large square block with chamfered top edge from which rises a tapering rectangular shaft with broach-chamfered edges. The top part of the shaft and the cross head were recently removed after the cross was attacked by vandals. In 1294 Gilbert de Umfraville claimed as his right a market at Ovingham....."
  • Owner

    Public Monuments and Sculpture Assocaition
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://pmsa.org.uk/pmsa-database/9992/
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 1 month ago
    Viewed: 15 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. You can login with Twitter, Google, Co-Curate or Newcastle University accounts.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES