CHURCH OF ST MARY - Ovingham - List Entry

  • Description

    "Parish church. Cll tower. South doorway late C12. The rest of the church mainly C13, restored 1857. Dressed stone and Welsh slate roof. Chancel, aisled transepts, nave, south porch. West tower and vestry. Unbuttressed west tower has 2-light round-arched bell openings.... Late Victorian pulpit, screen, lectern and choir stalls. Windows by Wailes and by Clayton and Bell. 2-panelled door to vestry. Monument to Thomas Bewick in south porch. Monuments attached to wall outside. Bell family transept south wall. George Burnett on south transept east wall and William Blacket on chancel south wall. 9 medieval grave covers leaning against nave south wall...."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1044940
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 5 years, 6 months ago
    Viewed: 361 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES