Burnhope Colliery

  • Description

    "The four sons of William Hedley continued Burnhope's colliery developments after his death. At first the mine was called Ibbotson's Sike Pit after a nearby stream but was renamed the Fortune Pit. The Hedleys built Burnhope village north of the colliery and the first school, now demolished, was opened in 1855. Annie Pit and Fell Pit opened at the colliery in 1868 along with a short-lived pit at Jaw Blades, but other mines followed at Burnhope Colliery in subsequent decades including several neighbouring drifts....."
  • Owner

    Grace's Guide: British Industrial History
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Burnhope_Colliery
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 4 years, 10 months ago
    Viewed: 333 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags


Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.