Former Police Station renamed Marquess Point; Listed building (Seaham)

  • Description

    "Former Police Station renamed Marquess Point; Listed building (converted into apartments) Police Station, former Londonderry Offices. c.1860. Snecked sandstone with ashlar quoins and Welsh slate roofs. Long narrow facade with irregular wings to rear. Modified classical style with C17 French motifs. Symmetrical street facade: 2 storeys, 5-bay centre and slightly projecting 4-bay wings. Ground floor: chamfered stone plinth; central rusticated porte-cochere; 4-pane sashes with horizontal glazing bars and raised sills; 3 blocked windows in left wing. String course between storeys. 1st floor windows have similar 4-pane sashes with raised sills on square brackets and eared architraves. Central projecting 2-stage clock tower above porte-cochere has raised quoins; tall corniced lower stage has round-headed window with Gibbs surround and keyed oculus above; short, narrow upper stage has corner consoles, 4 circular clock faces and, above a cornice, a slightly -pointed, lead-sheathed dome with 4 vertical, louvred oval openings. Continuous moulded eaves cornice. Flanking wings have low-pitched hipped roofs with flat tops and 3 round-arched dormers with double-keyed architraves. Irregular rear of building has round-arched windows, some with Gibbs surrounds, and many corniced ashlar stacks. Interior of building largely remodelled. http://www.keystothepast.info/durhamcc/K2P.nsf/K2PDetail?readform&PRN=D12599 Statue to Charles Stewart Vane-Tempest Stewart, 6th Marquess of Londonderry K.G., G.C.V.O. (1852-1915). 1915 by John Tweed. Sandstone plinth and pedestal and standing bronze figure. Square plinth on moulded stone base supports pedestal with sloping sides and moulded cornice. Pedestal bears inscription: This statue is placed here by his son and his daughter, amongst those whom he loved so well, and whose welfare and happiness were to him the principal objects of his life. Rear of pedestal has relief carving of the Londonderry Arms and bears the Garter motto and the family motto: METUENDA COROLLA DRACONIS. Slightly over life-size figure with sword and scroll wears the cloak of the Order of the Garter. http://britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-407593-statue-of-the-6th-marquess-of-londonderr" Photo by Les Hull, 2011.
  • Owner

    Les Hull
  • Source

    Geograph (Geograph)
  • License

    What does this mean? Creative Commons License
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2746111
    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 2 years, 5 months ago
    Viewed: 202 times
    Picture Taken: 2011-12-31
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES