Deserted Village of Scrainwood (Alnham)

  • Description

    "This was the site of the medieval village of Scrainwood. In 1377 tax returns show that at least 33 adults lived there. The remains of the houses can still be seen as earthworks. At least three rectangular buildings could be recognised, though the earthworks are only slight. A fortified tower house was recorded at the village in 1509 and 1541. Ruins of this building could still be seen 19th century, but now all trace of the tower has gone....."
  • Owner

    Keys to the Past (Durham & Northumbria County Councils)
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.keystothepast.info/article/10339/Site-Details?PRN=N1112
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 4 years, 2 months ago
    Viewed: 297 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES