Tyne Improvement Commission window above doorway, Bewick House

  • Description

    "There is more information here [[2206834]] The date stone in Roman numerals is 1885. The wrought iron screen covering the fan-light is in the design of the coat of arms of the Tyne Improvement Commission. Various elements can be recognised: the three castles motif Newcastle, the single castle of Gateshead, the three crowns of Tynemouth, the lifeboat of South Shields http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/domesday/dblock/GB-436000-564000/page/4 The two prominent sprigs of vegetation are probably sea purslane a rare plant of the Northumberland salt-marshes." Photo by Andrew Curtis, 2014.
  • Owner

    Andrew Curtis
  • Source

    Geograph (Geograph)
  • License

    What does this mean? Creative Commons License
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3884648
    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Peter Smith
    Last modified: 3 years, 5 months ago
    Viewed: 222 times
    Picture Taken: 2014-03-11
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES