Tyne and Wear HER(1646): Blaydon Burn, Cowens Upper Brickworks

  • Description

    "ocal clay was used for the manufacture of bricks in Cowen's two brickworks. The upper brickworks closed some time ago but the lower works (HER ref. 3434) continues production. The upper works were situated about two miles south of the lower works on higher ground, and were connected by a private railway. The brickworks were established about the year 1730 (70 years before that, fireclay was worked at Blaydon Burn and manufactured into bricks at Paradise on the north side of the Tyne). Joseph Cowen took over the Blaydon Burn Pit and Works in 1819. The works comprised...."
  • Owner

    SiteLines
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://twsitelines.info/SMR/1646
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 6 years ago
    Viewed: 611 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES