Tyne and Wear HER(3434): Blaydon Burn, Cowen's Lower Brickworks

  • Description

    "Brickworks were established here in 18th century and fireclay is thought to have been mined here even earlier. About 1819 Joseph Cowen, the first Chairman of the River Tyne Improvement Commission, took over the Blaydon Burn Pit and Works. Upon his death in 1874 his sons Joseph Cowen and John Anthony Cowen took over. The property included two sets of firebrick and retort making works, each with drying and kilning accomodation and steam-driven machinery. The lower works abutted the North Eastern Railway and River Tyne...."
  • Owner

  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://twsitelines.info/SMR/3434
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 5 years, 4 months ago
    Viewed: 349 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags


Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.