Description"The reservoir was built in the early C20th with unmarked red bricks. It was later partly repaired using bricks stamped with 'Cowen M'. These are fire-bricks made sometime after 1926 in Cowen's Brickworks at the east end of the valley. The factory, which opened in 1838, made 6 million fire-bricks a year. At that time a good hand moulder could make 2,400 bricks a day. The reservoir, now largely hidden by trees, may have supplied water for quenching coke, burned in ovens in the valley below, or as a general supply for Blaydon Burn Colliery. The Cowen Brick - probably the best brick in the world http://www.rolyveitch.20m.com/CowenBrick.html" Photo by Andrew Curtis, 2012.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Creative Commons License
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2816141
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 5 years, 4 months ago
Viewed: 417 times
Picture Taken: 2012-02-19