Horncliffe War Memorial

  • Description

    "....The memorial was unveiled on 19 September 1920 by Field Marshall Viscount Allenby and dedicated by Reverend WW Charlton (Allenby’s brother lived locally and the Field Marshal was visiting the district on holiday). The memorial commemorates 16 local servicemen who died in the First World War. It was provided by J and J Young of Norham, whilst Mr G Purves of Horncliffe laid the concrete base. The memorial was funded by public subscription. Following the Second World War the name of one man who died in that conflict was added. The memorial stood immediately outside the Presbyterian Church (not listed) on Main Street. This was sold in 2003 and in 2004 the memorial was moved circa 10m along the road to stand outside the United Reformed Church....."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1438695
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 4 years ago
    Viewed: 266 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES