DescriptionA view across the River Tyne, which includes the High Light (far-left) and Low Light (right) of 1810, with the Old High Light (centre-right) of 1727. The lights were built to safely guide ships into the Tyne, avoiding the Black Midden rocks. Ships would line up the lights from the Low and High light for the right approach. The 'new' low and high lights had to be built after the Tyne changed course, making the 'old' lights redundant. The Old Low Light, on the North Shields Fish Quay is now a heritage centre - it was substantially altered and not immediately recognisable as a light house.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Attribution License
Further informationLink: https://www.flickr.com/photos/137828720@N06/39758295090/
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 2 years, 2 months ago
Viewed: 224 times
Picture Taken: 2018-04-05T15:39:39