St. Cuthbert’s Cave Lowick, Northumberland Historic Environment Survey on behalf of The National Trust, 2011

  • Description

    "The National Trust landholding at St. Cuthbert’s Cave (also known more locally as Cuddy’s Cove (Hope Dodds 1935, 130)), consists of 5 hectares (13 acres) and sits within the parish of Lowick and the township of Holburn in north Northumberland. It consists of a soft sandstone cave supported by one pillar (10800). An area on front of the cave is contained within an enclosure formed by an earthen bank (10804). This may relate to its later use as a 19th century lambing pen. The cave features on the Cuthbert Way national trail and is appreciated as much for its extensive views as its associations with the early medieval saint. The property was given to the Trust in 1981 by Miss V.M. Leather and others and inscriptions on the site (10805) commemorate members of the family....."
  • Owner

    Archaeo-Environment Ltd for the National Trust
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.aenvironment.co.uk/index.php/online-library/northumberland/82-st-cuthberts-cave-management-plan/file
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 1 year, 7 months ago
    Viewed: 160 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES