ABC Middlesbrough

  • Description

    "Opened as the Elite Cinema in July 1923, and designed by architect James Forbes with 1,900 seats. It was owned and operated by Walter Bentley Cinemas Ltd. who also operated the Elite Cinema in Nottingham. The Elite Cinema had modest size stage and a café which had room for dancing. In 1930 it was equipped with a Compton 2 Manual/6Ranks organ, and a Western Electric(WE) sound system was fitted. In December 1935 it was taken over by the Associated British Cinemas(ABC) chain It was modernised in 1964 when it was renamed ABC...."
  • Owner

    Cinema Treasures
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/18510
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 4 years, 3 months ago
    Viewed: 337 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES