The Crown Public House 51-53 Borough Road

  • Description

    The building was the Elite Cinema on the site of a former Baptist church. It was taken over by Associated British Cinemas (ABC) in 1935, and then in June 1987 it became the Crown Bingo Club and remained so until 1996 when it became the Crown Public House. The building is in red/brown brick with stone rustication to the ground floor, a dentil cornice and a parapet. The fenestration pattern includes a mixture of window styles, but the second floor is defined by a series of arched windows with stone surrounds and faux key stones. The windows are square or rectangular at first floor level, with raised semicircular windows over and smaller windows above. Other architectural features include the large domed roof and curved entrance on the corner, and symmetrical elevations to each side. Unfortunately the stone is painted yellow but together with the massive scale of the building, it presents a striking addition to the Linthorpe Road and Borough Road crossroad. For more information on the Local List please click here -" rel="nofollow">
  • Owner

    Middlesbrough Council
  • Source

    Flickr (Flickr)
  • License

    What does this mean? All Rights Reserved (Seek permission to reuse)
  • Further information

    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 4 years, 3 months ago
    Viewed: 388 times
    Picture Taken: 2011-03-23T11:31:12
  • Co-Curate tags


Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.