Linthorpe Road, Middlesbrough - c1911 [Painting 4]

  • Description

    Based on a well known postcard this painting depicts the junction of Linthorpe Road with Newport Road and Corporation Road. The King’s Head Hotel that had opened in 1862 was replaced by J. Newhouse Ltd, now Debenhams. Collingwood & Son opening in 1886, now Miss Selfridge, was eventually extended with an almost identical copy of the original façade. Looking up Linthorpe Road, the large bay window belonged to Forshaw Ltd, the tobacconist, and then on to the huge ‘Arcade Store’ of Dickson and Benson. It was destroyed by the actions of a 13 year old arsonist in 1942. Down at the junction of Wilson Street stood the Leeds Hotel with the Grand Hotel behind on Zetland Road. These were also destroyed in 1942, but by the Luftwaffe this time. Acrylic on stretched card, 22x15 inches.
  • Owner

  • Source

    Flickr (Flickr)
  • License

    What does this mean? All Rights Reserved (Seek permission to reuse)
  • Further information

    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 5 years, 2 months ago
    Viewed: 688 times
    Picture Taken: 2013-04-01T19:51:29
  • Co-Curate tags


Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.