House of Fraser, 37 Linthorpe Road

  • Description

    The corner of Newport Road and Linthorpe Road is now occupied by House of Fraser Department Store. In 1923 Binns bought the row of shops including William Longstaff’s confectionery shop, which occupied the site and were completely destroyed by fire in March 1942. This was the first of the new department stores to re-emerge during the post war period, opened by high Fraser in March 1957. It was one of the first branded retail chain stores to open in the town. This Portland stone building is a good example of Art Deco style (see A1.9), situated on a prominent corner site, exhibiting strong form and massing in its design. There is a powerful vertical emphasis created by the recessed metal casement windows faced with marble spandrel panels. The fourth floor has an open terrace sitting behind a simple stone cornice that is reflected in the ground floor canopy, and on the recessed floor above. The rear of the building is curved in form and of red brick and more utilitarian, but still exhibits the same design ethics. The ground floor shop front is an integral part of the design, with quality materials including black granite doorways. For more information on the Local List please click here - http://www.middlesbrough.gov.uk/ccm/navigation/planning-services/conservation/local-list/" rel="nofollow">www.middlesbrough.gov.uk/ccm/navigation/planning-services...
  • Owner

    Middlesbrough Council
  • Source

    Flickr (Flickr)
  • License

    What does this mean? All Rights Reserved (Seek permission to reuse)
  • Further information

    Link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/51359514@N02/5552909610/
    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 2 years, 6 months ago
    Viewed: 119 times
    Picture Taken: 2011-03-23T11:30:51
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES