Hartburn Grotto

  • Description

    "Another photo and good description here [[395332]] Dr Sharpe was vicar of Hartburn from 1749-92 and it was he who carved the grotto out of the sandstone cliff. The internal gothick arch which divides the larger outer chamber from the dark inner one reflects that in the footbridge at the southern end of the walk down to the grotto [[880708]]. This too, along with Tower House [[1752915]], were also built by Dr Sharpe. The two niches above the grotto entrance used to house statues of Adam and Eve. The tunnel is 15m long, roofed with large slabs (over which the path runs) but is now a crawl. It is said to have allowed discrete access for bathers from the cave to the river. http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/search/fr.cfm?rcn=NSMR03-10468" Photo by Andrew Curtis, 2010.
  • Owner

    Andrew Curtis
  • Source

    Geograph (Geograph)
  • License

    What does this mean? Creative Commons License
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1752963
    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 2 years, 3 months ago
    Viewed: 154 times
    Picture Taken: 2010-03-14
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES