Chollerton St Giles

  • Description

    "The Church of St. Giles, consists of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and a tower, heightened by the addition of a belfry stage, containing two bells, only one of which is currently ringable. It was last restored in 1875, as much as possible of the ancient structure being retained. The unsightly modern windows were removed and replaced by others in the later Early English style: all the windows in the nave and chancel are stained. One hundred people can be sat comfortably in church. In the nave are Roman pillars that support the south side of the main roof. It is thought the pillars were removed from either the Corbridge or Chesters Roman sites...."
  • Owner

    Chollerton Benefice
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.chollerton-churches.org.uk/chollerton.html
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 1 year, 3 months ago
    Viewed: 51 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES