Description"The village of Walbottle is known to have existed since at least the C13th, and perhaps earlier. The medieval village was built round the green, and was surrounded by strip-cultivated open fields http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/hadrianswall/uploads/Walbottle%20Dene.pdf In the 19th century Walbottle green had a pond, stone pant and a horse trough. George Stephenson is reputed to have been taught to read and write at night classes at the former Primitive Methodist Chapel on the west side of the green (demolished in 1961), by local schoolmaster, Robin Cowens. A detailed description of Walbottle Village Conservation Area is given here http://www.newcastle.gov.uk/wwwfileroot/regen/plantrans/Walbottle_CA_CSMP_Final_Sept09_wholedoc.pdf Tyne and Wear HER(1242): Walbottle village http://www.twsitelines.info" Photo by Andrew Curtis, 2010.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Creative Commons License
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1988064
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 2 years, 7 months ago
Viewed: 219 times
Picture Taken: 2010-07-30