Tyne and Wear HER(4231): Newburn, Spencer's Steel Works

  • Description

    "The firm of John Spencer and Sons Ltd. was founded in the year 1810 by John Spencer who had been an apprentice in the Sheffield Steel Works, and afterwards was employed for some time at the works of Crowley and Millington at Winlaton. Spencer's original works was established at Newburn in 1822, when he acquired a water mill from the Duke of Northumberland and converted it for file grinding. This mill, later used for rolling steel, was known as Number 1 mill, and was situated in Walbottle Dene, behind the fire station of modern times. In 1824 John Spencer took into partnership his brother William, and in 1830 further land was acquired...."
  • Owner

    SiteLines
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://twsitelines.info/SMR/4231
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 2 years, 7 months ago
    Viewed: 167 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES