Lemington Gut

  • Description

    "The Gut was the previous course of the River Tyne until a meander was removed to improve navigation in c.1880. After the wooden staiths at Lemington, used to load coal from the waggon ways into barges (keels) for transport down river, fell into disuse the channel was no longer dredged, and has silted up. The river is still tidal at this point, and at low tide is mainly mud, although does carry the minor stream flow coming from Sugley Dene. The photo is taken from Lemington Bridge, built across the mouth of the Gut in 2001, providing dual carriageway road access to Newburn Riverside Business Park situated on the flat riverside land known as Newburn Haugh. http://www.bridgesonthetyne.co.uk/leming.html In the distance can be seen the cone of Lemington Glassworks [[359878]] and the former power station [[38925]] built on the site of the Tyne Iron Works." Photo by Andrew Curtis, 2010.
  • Owner

    Andrew Curtis
  • Source

    Geograph (Geograph)
  • License

    What does this mean? Creative Commons License
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1991980
    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Pat Thomson
    Last modified: 6 years, 2 months ago
    Viewed: 579 times
    Picture Taken: 2010-08-02
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES