Tyne and Wear HER(746): Backworth village (East Backworth)

  • Description

    "The earliest reference, with other villages, seems to be in a grant by Henry II (1154-89) to Tynemouth Priory, and in 1189 two Backworths are mentioned. In 1292 Backworth was classed as possessing one of the priory's 10 manors, and yet - in 1296 - both Backworths were small, each having only 4 taxpayers. In 1377 there were 10 assorted tenants, sharing 5 cottages, 1 bondage holding and some land...."
  • Owner

    SiteLines
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.twsitelines.info/SMR/746
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 9 months, 1 week ago
    Viewed: 107 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. You can login with Twitter, Google, Co-Curate or Newcastle University accounts.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES