Description"Whittingham Tower was probably built in the late 13th or early 14th century. It is three storeys in height. The medieval parts are of large squared stone. On the east this extends only to the first floor level, elsewhere it reaches up to the second floor. At the south end of the east wall a few steps rise to a 19th century doorway with two inscriptions, on recording alterations carried out in 1845. A cottage was built next to it in the 18th or early 19th century. The two buildings were turned into almshouses in 1845 by Lady Ravensworth. This is a Grade II Listed Building protected by law. http://www.keystothepast.info/Pages/pgDetail.aspx?PRN=N3251" Photo by Les Hull, 2016.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Creative Commons License
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4915276
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 5 years, 4 months ago
Viewed: 453 times
Picture Taken: 2016-04-19