Description"Opened in 1879 by the North Eastern Railway, this station replaced numerous smaller termini that had existed around the town centre. View north at the forecourt. The platforms are underneath but until the Second World War, there was an overall roof where the block of buildings behind the station entrance now are. War damage to this was never repaired, it was removed and eventually the whole station area was built over, making the platform area distinctly gloomy." Photo by Nigel Thompson, 2017.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Creative Commons License
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5251350
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 3 years, 9 months ago
Viewed: 309 times
Picture Taken: 2017-01-10