The remains of a High Frequency Direction Finding Tower

  • Description

    "This base on Shoreswood Ewe Hill is a reminder of the wartime role of an HFDF (High Frequency Direction Finding) station. In the 1940's the octagonal brick enclosure protected a 3 storey wooden tower, from where high frequency radio signals were exchanged with aircraft to guide them to their bases. In those days there were several training aerodromes in the area. There were at least two more HFDF towers in the area to allow aircraft positions to be cross referenced. There is a platform within the enclosure with a viewpoint indicator. (Source: Information boards on site)." Photo by Walter Baxter, 2006.
  • Owner

    Walter Baxter
  • Source

    Geograph (Geograph)
  • License

    What does this mean? Creative Commons License
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/282248
    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 6 years, 8 months ago
    Viewed: 439 times
    Picture Taken: 2006-11-19
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES