Description"There were once 400 lime kilns in Northumberland but few were as well built as this one. It was designed by George Reavell in 1888 for Lord Armstrong. For 50 years lime was loaded into carts from the three arches at the bottom of the pot. Farmers needed lime to spread on the acid soil of the valley to improve the grass. The kiln was closed at the start of the Second World War." Photo by peter maddison, 2011.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Creative Commons License
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2239922
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 3 years, 5 months ago
Viewed: 322 times
Picture Taken: 2011-01-20