Lime Kilns, Great Tosson
The lime kiln to the north of Great Tosson was built in 1888. The kiln is built into an earthen ramp made by rubble from the nearby quarry. The kiln was designed by George Reavell, for Lord Armstrong, and was in operation up to the start of the Second World War. Lime kilns were used to burn limestone to produce lime for improving soil quality in agriculture and also for making cement. Lime was loaded into carts from the 3 arches at the bottom of the 'pot'.