Dial Cottage, West Moor

  • Description

    "For 18 years between 1804 and 1822 the cottage was the home of George Stephenson and his son Robert. Above the front door is a sundial [[4810952]] which they made in 1816, and from which the cottage takes its name. George began building steam locomotives in a colliery workshop behind the cottage. In 1814 he tested his first engine 'Blucher' along the nearby Killingworth Waggonway [[4810882]]. As many as 16 locomotives may have been built in the workshop." Photo by Anthony Foster, 2015.
  • Owner

    Anthony Foster
  • Source

    Geograph (Geograph)
  • License

    What does this mean? Creative Commons License
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4810947
    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 4 years, 2 months ago
    Viewed: 290 times
    Picture Taken: 2015-12-07
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES