Ouseburn Farm and the bridges

Related Pages


Byker Bridge


Ouseburn

  • Description

    "The Byker Road Bridge, Metro Bridge and Railway Bridge span the Ouseburn valley behind. Byker Bridge was opened to pedestrians in 1878 and shortly after to carts and carriages. It was originally 30 feet wide and widened to 50 feet in 1899. It still provides an important high-level crossing of the Ouseburn valley on a major route east of the city centre. The Metro Rail Bridge, a slim structure of reinforced concrete segments bonded with epoxy resin was the first of its type in the UK and opened in 1982. The railway viaduct opened in 1839 providing a rail passenger route from Newcastle to North Shields. The original timber arches were replaced with iron in 1869. In 1904, the bridge carried the UK's first suburban electric railway http://www.emus.co.uk/zone/tyneside/tyneside.htm Ouseburn Farm is described here [[1778753]]" Photo by Andrew Curtis, 2010.
  • Owner

    Andrew Curtis
  • Source

    Geograph (Geograph)
  • License

    What does this mean? Creative Commons License
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1777725
    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 6 years, 7 months ago
    Viewed: 605 times
    Picture Taken: 2010-03-28
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES