Parson's Tower (Ford)

  • Description

    "The remains of Parson's Tower stand alone in a field south west of Ford Castle and north-west of the parish church. Only the basement survives with 2m thick walls. The date of the tower is not known, but it was mentioned in a document dating to 1541 as a `lytle tower which was the mansion of the parsonage'. By 1663 the parson's house was described as `totally demolished' and a new rectory was built later at the north-west corner of the churchyard. This in turn was pulled down around 1878. The entrance to the tower was originally in the centre of the east wall, through a lobby with both inner and outer doorways...."
  • Owner

    Keys to the Past (Durham & Northumbria County Councils)
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.keystothepast.info/article/10339/Site-Details?PRN=N1813
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 2 years ago
    Viewed: 138 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES