Tyne and Wear HER(6986): Newcastle, Blackett St, Chapel of St. James

  • Description

    "A Presbyterian chapel was built on the corner of Blackett Street and Grainger Street, partly on the site of Fickett Tower (HER 1547) in 1826. John Dobson designed it - it had a pillared portico and pediment in Greek style. Internal difficulties within the chapel led to a financial crisis and soon the congregation began to dwindle. In 1830 the Church of Scotland refused to renew the licence designating St. James' as a Presbyerian Church. In 1833 St. James became a Congregational Church...."
  • Owner

    SiteLines
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.twsitelines.info/SMR/6986
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 1 year, 10 months ago
    Viewed: 148 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES