Craghead – a short history

  • Description

    Article by Jane Hatcher. "Craghead does not have a long history, being a village which grew up when collieries opened in the area. Early maps show the place‐name as Crag Head, a simple descriptive name.   The 1st edition of the 6 inch Ordnance Survey map of 1854 marks the hamlet of Crag Head at the junction of a lane, marked variously as Craghead Lane and Wagtail Lane, with a lane running south‐east towards Wheatleygreen Lane and Holmside Lane. The Punch Bowl public house is marked at the road junction. The hamlet merely consists of many scattered houses and coal workings, with the Burnhope Waggon Way running approximately parallel to Craghead /Wagtail Lane. Further west of Wagtail Lane is the National School...."
  • Owner

    Durham in Time
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.durhamintime.org.uk/durham_miner/craghead_history.pdf
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 2 years, 1 month ago
    Viewed: 264 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES