Cronkley deserted medieval village (Healey)

  • Description

    "There has been settlement at Cronkley since the 13th century. A number of medieval documents record the number of taxpayers and tenants in the village. For example, in 1296 there were seven taxpayers, but in 1336 there were only four. By the late 18th century there was only one farm here. Today there are a few earthworks on the east side of the farmstead that may be remains of the medieval village...."
  • Owner

    Keys to the Past (Durham & Northumbria County Councils)
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.keystothepast.info/article/10339/Site-Details?PRN=N9897
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 4 years, 9 months ago
    Viewed: 326 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES