CHURCH OF ST MARY - Holystone - List Entry

  • Description

    "Parish church. C12, largely rebuilt 1848-9 by G. Pickering. Squared stone and random rubble. Welsh slate roof. 4-bay nave and l-bay chancel. The nave was the chancel of a much larger medieval church. One east respond of former south arcade remains attached to south-east corner outside. West end has doorway with shouldered lintel and: round-headed window over. Gabled bellcote above. Plain round-headed north and south windows. All the detail is of 1848-9. The south wall masonry and the lower part of the north wall are medieval. Chancel, of 1848-9 has 2 medieval grave covers with foliated crosses...."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1303234
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 5 years, 1 month ago
    Viewed: 298 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES