Description"South Charlton church was built in 1862 at the expense of the Duke of Northumberland. This was designed by James Deason of London to imitate the earlier style of architecture known as Early English. The plan is a simple nave, without aisles, chancel, adjoining vestry and porch. Fine stone known as ashlar, cut stone dressings and Lakeland slates were used. The style of the windows is the lancet type - real medieval examples can be seen elsewhere in the county. The simple exterior is matched by a simple interior. This is a Grade II Listed Building protected by law. http://www.keystothepast.info/durhamcc/K2P.nsf/K2PDetail?readform&PRN=N21622" Photo by Les Hull, 2010.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Creative Commons License
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1685724
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 6 years, 1 month ago
Viewed: 384 times
Picture Taken: 2010-01-26