South Charlton War Memorial

  • Description

    "...The memorial stands in the churchyard of the Church of St James (Grade II). The sandstone wheel-head cross, c3.5m tall, rises from a tapering pedestal which stands on a single step. The principal dedicatory inscription to the front face of the pedestal reads TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN HONOURED MEMORY/ OF THE MEN FROM THIS PARISH/ WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914-1918./ (3 NAMES)/ “THEIR NAMES LIVE FOR EVERMORE.” The right-hand face of the pedestal is inscribed 1939 – 1945/ (1 NAME)...."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1439802
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 2 years, 2 months ago
    Viewed: 157 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES