Waldridge Fell (Waldridge)

  • Description

    "The name of the village of Wladridge comes from the Old English for 'ridge with or near a wall'. It is first reorded in 1297. The wall was probably the wall surrounding the Bishop of Durham's deerpark. The Bishop's stables were built in the village and he used the now fell land as a race course. The early cottages were built in the 1830's and followed the course of the Cong Burn, giving the impression that it was probably used as the water supply. Most of these cottages have been demolished and replaced by terraced housing built in the late 19th century. The Workmen's Club..."
  • Owner

    Keys to the Past (Durham & Northumbria County Councils)
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.keystothepast.info/article/10339/Site-Details?PRN=D1813
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 4 years ago
    Viewed: 335 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES