St Bartholomew Church, Thornley Village, County Durham

  • Description

    "There are two places in County Durham called Thornley. This Thornley, in West Durham, is much smaller than the other; both have a link with coal mining, in this case a history as long ago as 1569. The village itself has an even longer history, the earliest reference to Thornley is in a land grant of 1070-80. The church was built in 1838 as a simple stone building. It was almost doubled in size in 1842 and altered to give a Gothic appearance. In 1891, the tower, octagonal steeple and outer door were added. Thornley is approached by single track roads. The road into the village is marked as a cul-de-sac so is easily missed. http://www.keystothepast.info/durhamcc/K2P.nsf/K2PDetail?readform&PRN=D6895" Photo by Ian Porter, 2009.
  • Owner

    Ian Porter
  • Source

    Geograph (Geograph)
  • License

    What does this mean? Creative Commons License
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1211708
    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 5 years, 7 months ago
    Viewed: 873 times
    Picture Taken: 2009-03-19
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES