Cartington deserted medieval village (Cartington)

  • Description

    "Cartington medieval village is first mentioned in old documents in the 13th century when a small share of land was held by John le Viscount. Following this, there are records of the number of people paying tax at Cartington in 1296 and through the 14th century. A tower is first recorded there in 1415 and later settlement is documented from the 16th to the 19th centuries. A series of earthworks lies near the castle...."
  • Owner

    Keys to the Past (Durham & Northumbria County Councils)
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.keystothepast.info/article/10339/Site-Details?PRN=N2861
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 4 years, 12 months ago
    Viewed: 398 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES