Tyne and Wear HER(719): Wardley moated site

  • Description

    "Wardley is not included in Henry II's confirmation of the prior and convent's estates so the usual inference is that it was carved later out of one or more of the surrounding townships. The manor was certainly in existence by 1264 when the prior built camera, hall and chapel there. Other structures noted in the medieval accounts include kitchen, grange, bovaria, byre, stable, henhouse, herringhouse, farina, dovecot and a bridge, presumably over the moat. For much of the 14th century it was in hand and used for the monks' recreation; but thereafter it was leased or granted out, sometimes to retired priors. Remains of the moat are visible on the south and south-east...."
  • Owner

    SiteLines
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.twsitelines.info/SMR/719
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Pat Thomson
    Last modified: 6 years, 12 months ago
    Viewed: 497 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES