Description"Slaggyford Station lies on the old railway which once ran from Haltwhistle to Alston http://www.railbrit.co.uk/Alston_Branch/frame.htm. Built in 1846, the line was recommended for closure by Beeching but was reprieved because there was no adequate road access to Alston in the worst of winter weather. The line was eventually closed in 1976. Much of the line now forms part of the South Tyne Trail http://www.visitcumbria.com/pen/haltalst.htm for walkers and cyclists. Slaggyford Station is the southernmost point of the line which is used by the Trail. The Trail is also followed by the Pennine Cycleway, route 68 of the National Cycle Network http://www.cycle-routes.org/penninecycleway/." Photo by Oliver Dixon, 2008.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Creative Commons License
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/885317
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 5 years ago
Viewed: 396 times
Picture Taken: 2008-07-15