DescriptionThe Hermitage is reached by boat across the river Coquet. It was almost certainly established in about 1400 by the 1st Earl. Rather than a secluded dwelling for a religious recluse (hermit), it was in fact probably a chantry, or private chapel, where a priest performed services in return for a stipend. The chapel, with three vaulted bays, was carved directly out of the rock. To the right of the altar is a cluster of worn sculptures forming an almost life-size Nativity scene. The inner chamber was probably a closet from which the earl and his retinue could view the service, as there are viewing slits and windows cut in the wall adjoining the chapel.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Attribution-ShareAlike License
Further informationLink: https://www.flickr.com/photos/15181848@N02/34043631420/
Resource type: Image
Added by: Pat Thomson
Last modified: 6 years, 8 months ago
Viewed: 424 times
Picture Taken: 2017-04-24T11:57:43