Description"The castle was first recorded in 1415 as the castle of 'Twysill' held by Sir John Heron, but it was destroyed by the Scots in 1496 and abandoned. A survey made in 1561 notes 'there has been one tower, or pele, which is of ancient time decayed and cast down, and there remains one part or quarter thereof, and a barmkin about it'. Twizel medieval tower house, the probable village remains, 18th century folly and garden earthworks are well preserved and will retain significant archaeological deposits. The monument includes a medieval tower house incorporated into a ruined 18th century folly and the earthwork remains of a probable medieval village....."
LicenseWhat does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
Further informationLink: http://www.gatehouse-gazetteer.info/English%20sites/2517.html
Resource type: Text/Website
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 5 years, 8 months ago
Viewed: 452 times
Picture Taken: Unknown