All Saints' Church, Skelton-in-Cleveland, North Yorkshire

  • Description

    Includes visitor information. "This secluded Georgian church, is set in parkland with views to Skelton Castle. Graves with skull-and-crossbone motifs mingle with wild cherry and garlic in the churchyard. The church was mostly rebuilt in 1785 and probably two previous churches were sited there. Pulpit, box pews and other furnishings seem to date from the rebuilding, with slightly earlier text boards and some older monuments on a remaining Medieval wall. The herringbone tooling of the outside stonework gives the church a strong local feel, in contrast to the 'Venetian' east window and the dark rose colouring of the interior...."
  • Owner

    Churches Conservation Trust
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://www.visitchurches.org.uk/visit/church-listing/all-saints-skelton-in-cleveland.html
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 5 years, 2 months ago
    Viewed: 579 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES