The Old Queen Elizabeth Grammar School - Hexham - List Entry

  • Description

    "...The Free Grammar School was founded by a Royal Charter of Queen Elizabeth on 29th June 1599; having first operated in private houses, a purpose-built school building and master's house were constructed at the expense of the town and neighbourhood in 1684. The new building was constructed at the south east corner of an area known as Archbishop's Precinct, thought to have been enclosed by a wall in the medieval period...."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1281643
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 5 years, 8 months ago
    Viewed: 402 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES