Low Harperley (Harperley Hall)

  • Description

    "Low Harperley prisoner of war camp. Built during WWII by Italian P.O.Ws in the early 1940's and used to house German pilots and soldiers during the allied invasion of Europe. The owner of the site who died in early 1999 did not take up Government grant offers following the war to return the site to farmland or forestery. Instead the site was used for storage. The site reputedly covers an area of some seven hectare and includes barrack huts, a chapel and theatre...."
  • Owner

    Keys to the Past (Durham & Northumbria County Councils)
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.keystothepast.info/article/10339/Site-Details?PRN=D4727
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 4 years, 6 months ago
    Viewed: 355 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES