Prisoner of War Camp, Featherstone Park

  • Description

    "In the early 1940s, a training camp for American troops was built at Featherstone. They called it 'Death Valley' because of its isolated location, but the Americans soon made way for Italian prisoners of war and then German officers. Between 1945 and 1948 some 25,000 Germans were housed at Featherstone. There were many compounds surrounded by barbed wire and watch towers. The camp was highly regarded and was one of the six most successful rehabilitation camps in the country, known as the 'camp of confidence'....."
  • Owner

    Keys to the Past (Durham & Northumbria County Councils)
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://keystothepast.info/search-records/results-of-search/results-of-search-2/site-details/?PRN=N6141
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 7 years, 2 months ago
    Viewed: 914 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES