JOSEPH COWAN STATUE NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE

  • Description

    Joseph Cowan's statue fronts the weird architecture of Cross House in Fenkle Street, just off the southern end of Newcastle's busy Grainger Street. The original Cross House was a 17th. Century mansion and for a time was a home of Ralph Carr, who in 1755 founded the first bank in Newcastle. It became a vicarage and subsequently extended for commercial purposes before being demolished around 1900. In 1911 the current building was erected. Joseph Cowan was the journalist proprietor of the Newcastle Daily Chronicle and served as the city's blunt awkward-squad Liberal Member of Parliament. He was a radical and eloquent debater his speeches are still in print today. His letters were published in 1909. Numerous biographers have tackled his life and work including Joan Allen in 2007 and William Duncan in 2013.
  • Owner

    summonedbyfells
  • Source

    Flickr (Flickr)
  • License

    What does this mean? Attribution License
  • Further information

    Link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/8521690@N02/12924297284/
    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 5 years ago
    Viewed: 554 times
    Picture Taken: 2014-02-22T21:46:10
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES